Planet of the Apps presented some of the latest mobile applications supporting humanitarian initiatives and disaster relief operations across the world. The presentation was part of the Global Disaster Relief & Development Summit 2017 that took place in Washington, D.C in September.
Five useful mobile apps for humanitarians
Planet of the Apps started a year ago at the Global Disaster Relief Summit of 2016 with a goal of highlighting mobile applications supporting worldwide disaster response operations. This year, they’ve updated the list with recent apps that are very useful for compassionate humanitarians. If you have a recommendation for an app you know to be featured on this blog, please get in touch with us.
- The FEMA App provides timely alerts and useful information to help you to stay safe before, during and after disasters. You can receive fast and reliable notifications about the severe weather for up to five locations around the United States. This simple and easy-to-use app also gives information regarding safety, emergency preparedness, and disaster assistance.
- MEDBOX collects the increasing number of professional guidelines, textbooks and practical documents on health action available online today. This way, health workers have easy access to crucial information when they need it, where they need it. The MEDBOX App with an offline-use-option is especially useful when accessing in remote areas with limited internet and computer availability.
- The CrisisAlert app is a new way for humanitarian aid workers to get notified immediately on the most pressing crises worldwide. Humanitarians can be alerted on more than 40 key crisis countries as soon as the humanitarian situation changes by personalizing the settings. The app’s offline option allows constant access to updates even in remote areas or on airplanes.
- The EMALSYS App provides registered members with the ability to respond to emergency alerts and notifications via their smartphones quickly. The app allows users to create a responder profile and join their organization to receive notifications on alerts, open rosters, deployment offers and news. Responders can also browse many organizations’ job posts to find the latest opportunities in the humanitarian sector.
- ReliefWeb helps you to stay current with key figures on the world’s most pressing humanitarian crises. Think of the number of affected population and funding status after a natural calamity. View and download the latest maps, infographics, and situation reports.
Every organization working towards a better world is an inspiration to us. Our social media platforms provide updates regarding humanitarian subjects and developments that touch on issues of great importance to the growth and development of the global village.