Totara is an open source talent and learning management system (LMS) that extends upon the core structure of Moodle for corporate, healthcare and government environments. Released on the global market in 2011, Totara closed a gap that Moodle, an education-focused LMS, left wide open. Apart from filling gaps, Totara has been of the leading corporate
open source talent and learning management system due to its stability and support for deep customization.
Public version of Totara 12 is set to be release this month (November) for implementatiuon by various Toatara partners, here is a summary of what to expect in Totara 12 release:
- Redesigned Catalog – to improve the user experience when browsing and searching for certifications, programs, and courses to ensure the user is able to quickly compare, locate, and understand the learning that is available.
- Report builder performance improvements
- Navigation and Homepage – There is a huge redesign of home page and navigation adding new block types, look and feel and drag and drop support
- Content Marketplace – Allow site administrators to manage subscriptions with Totara Learning’s trusted content partners, such as GO1, and to enable access to their free and premium content. Learners will then be able to browse, search, and filter the course content and add to new courses or existing courses.
- Seminars – Refactored the seminar activity to reduce technical debt and to enable the development of new seminar functionality
- Upgrade to Moodle 3.4 Core
- New web API to improve support for integrations with external systems and provide better experiences on mobile apps (including the planned official Totara mobile app).
- Certifications – Re-design the layout and workflows within course, program and certification screens so that users have an improved learning experience.